When dealing with mold, knowing is half the battle. Now that you’re conscious of the issue, all that’s left to do is get rid of it. But how do you get rid of mold? Does it take long to fully remove? Should you perform the mold cleanup yourself or hire a professional? And how much will all of this cost, anyway? These are all valid concerns that come to light when you want to eradicate this vile fungi from your home. And today, you will learn all you need to know on effectively removing mold.
The most important thing to know before you start your mold cleanup is whether you have the time to do it. Removing mold is a simple task to perform, but it’s time-consuming. If you’re someone that doesn’t have the time to dedicate the next few days to completely eliminating the infestation from your home, then you’re better off hiring a professional.
The cost is entirely dependent on how bad of a problem you have. If you have gone to great lengths to detect mold in its early stages, then you will have an easy time removing the mold with a few household products. Adding some bleach in a bucket of water will usually do the job. If the mold has had free reign for a while now, it will get a little bit more expensive. A lot of safety precautions will have to be taken, especially if your immune-system isn’t in the best condition. If the situation is really bad, then I’d recommend hiring someone to do it for you.
After sealing the room that is about to be treated to contain the spores, you want to start opening up the mold-infested area with a saw. Cut off electricity to the room and wet the moldy materials before putting them in two strong plastic bags. The materials are dampened so the spores won’t be spread further. Now you start thoroughly vacuuming the remaining debris.
Cleaning a surface with visible mold stains is fairly easy. You need to scrub the surface with a mixture of 1 qt. water and half a cup filled with bleach. This will slowly kill the mold. Just keep going at it with a soft brush until the mold goes away. Once you’re finished, wipe off the surface carefully. Never rinse off the surface. This method will work with most surfaces except for concrete. With concrete, you do the exact same, but use dishwasher detergent instead of bleach.
Next, put dehumidifiers and fans to dry out the cleaned surface for three days. Once these days have passed, do a quick on the current situation. Do you still see or smell mold? Repeat the previous step and clean the area with bleach again. If you are in the clear, then you should seal the surface with pigmented shellac before painting over it again. Using latex paint is recommended as it helps prevent future mold growth. Once you have finished painting the wall, you have successfully removed the mold threat. But remember that as long as the area is continuously being moisturized, the mold will eventually return.
More about mold testing and remediation at http://partners-n-wellness.com/how-to-safely-remove-mold-from-your-house/